Moscow attacked Ukraine on Friday in what was said to be the largest airstrike of the war.
Russia launched a new drone attack against Ukraine on Saturday night, after vowing that its attack on the Russian border city of Belgorod earlier in the day “will not go unpunished.”
Ukraine’s air force announced on Sunday that it had shot down 21 of 49 drones launched by the Russian military overnight.
Twenty-eight people were injured in the attack on the eastern city of Kharkiv, regional governor Ole Sinyevov announced on Sunday.
According to the District Attorney’s Office, hotels, apartments, kindergartens, stores and administrative buildings in the city center were damaged.
In the Kiev region, local officials said a Russian drone attack caused a fire at a critical infrastructure facility. Details of the facility were not disclosed.
The Russian attack came after shelling in the center of the Russian border city of Belgorod on Saturday killed 24 people, including three children.
Regional Governor Vyacheslav Gladkov announced on Sunday that another 108 people were injured in the attack.
It was one of the worst attacks on mainland Russia since Moscow launched its invasion of Ukraine 22 months ago.
Russian authorities accused Kiev of carrying out the attack, which came a day after 18 hours of Russian airstrikes across Ukraine killed at least 41 civilians.
“This crime will not go unpunished,” the ministry said in a statement on social media.
At an emergency meeting of the UN Security Council convened by Moscow on Saturday night, Russia’s UN special envoy Vasily Nebenzhya accused Kiev of a “terrorist attack”.
In comments carried by Russian state media, he claimed that Ukraine had launched “deliberate terrorist acts against civilians.”