Former Ottawa Senators forward Alex Formenton has been charged in connection with a 2018 incident, his lawyer has confirmed. The Athletic on sunday.
The Globe and Mail first reported that Formenton turned himself in to police after being charged with the crime in London, Ont.
“London police have indicted several players, including Alex Formenton, in connection with accusations made in 2018. Alex vigorously defended his innocence and was sentenced without hearing all the evidence. We ask that there be no rush,” Formenton’s attorney, Daniel Brown, said in the article.Statement emailed to The Athletic.
Late Sunday, London police said in a release that it would “provide all updates” related to the incident at a press conference scheduled for February 5, repeating a statement issued earlier this week. .
Last week, the Globe and Mail reported that five members of Canada’s 2018 world junior hockey team were told to surrender to police over sexual assault charges.
The Globe and Mail reports that the pending charges relate to the alleged sexual assault of a woman by multiple players in a London hotel room on June 19, 2018, after a Hockey Canada Foundation event. It was reported that
Hockey Canada Timeline: Key developments so far
Formenton, whose right to play in the NHL is with the Ottawa Senators, is a restricted free agent and has not played in the league beyond the 2021-22 season. He is currently on leave from head coach Ambri Piotta, the Swiss team Formenton has played for the past two seasons.
On Thursday, Senators general manager Steve Staios was asked about Formenton’s situation.
“I haven’t talked to the players about anything. And I think all questions about this situation have to go through the National Hockey League,” Staios said.
The NHL declined to comment on the situation.
The allegations were revealed in a lawsuit filed by a woman against Hockey Canada in April 2022. In a complaint filed in Ontario Superior Court, the woman claims she was assaulted by eight players in a hotel room after a foundation event. Members of Canada’s 2018 world junior team were among those accused of assault in the case.
A Night in London: Sexual Assault Allegation and Hockey Canada Reimbursement
Hockey Canada and the women settled the lawsuit in May 2022.
After the lawsuit was made public, London police and Hockey Canada reopened their investigations into the incident, as did the NHL. The initial investigation by London police concluded in February 2019 without any charges being laid.
(Photo: Marc DesRosiers / USA Today)