Advertisements from Air France, Lufthansa and Etihad Airways have been banned for giving consumers a misleading impression of the airlines’ environmental credentials.
Both Google ads ran in July, with Air France saying it’s “committed to protecting the environment” and encouraging consumers to “travel better and more sustainably,” while Lufthansa said it was a customer proposed “more sustainable flight.”
Etihad Airways’ advertisements claimed that its services included “environmental advocacy”.
The Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) investigated all three adverts over concerns they gave a misleading impression of the airline’s environmental impact.
The ASA said Air France had not provided a “substantive response” to the investigation.
Lufthansa says the claim “Fly more sustainably” is a reference to the “green fare” option that passengers can choose on European flights, reducing flight-related CO2 emissions by using sustainable aviation fuel. He said that the reduction would be 20% and the remaining 80% would be offset by subsidies. Contribution to climate protection projects.
However, the airline added that it had decided to remove the phrase “Fly more sustainably” from future advertising.
Etihad Airways said it had immediately removed all references to “environmental advocacy” from its paid Google search ads in the UK after being notified of the complaint.
ASA said air travel generates high levels of both CO2 and non-CO2 emissions, which significantly contribute to climate change.
It also shows that Air France is “committed to protecting the environment” and that commercially viable technologies are being used to properly demonstrate its absolute green claims, such as Air France’s commitment to protecting the environment and helping people “travel better and more sustainably.” I also understand that it is not currently operational within the industry.
The watchdog said: “Given that there is no evidence that Air France protects the environment or makes aviation sustainable, this claim does not encourage consumers to understand the environmental impact of traveling with Air France.” “We concluded that this gave a misleading impression.”
The airline said that flying with Lufthansa’s green fare option “has the potential to reduce some of the negative environmental impacts of flying.” “We believe that the basis for the claim was not made clear in the advertisement.”
The ASA also welcomed Etihad Airways’ decision to remove the phrase “environmental advocacy” from future advertising, but said it had “seen no evidence that it was engaged in such advocacy”.
“We therefore conclude that this advertisement gives a misleading impression of Etihad Airways’ environmental impact and that this advertisement breaches the Code.”
The ASA ruled that these three advertisements must not be run again.
An Etihad Airways spokesperson said: “Sustainability is a top priority for Etihad Airways and we are implementing a comprehensive program to decarbonize aviation, with a modern, fuel-efficient fleet of aircraft. We are committed to reducing aviation’s impact on the environment by investing billions of dollars.” Sustainable aviation fuel, carbon offsets and reforestation through Etihad Mangroves.
“Airlines are taking bold and innovative steps, including partnering with aircraft and engine manufacturers, sustainable fuel suppliers, academia and innovators, to fly more than they would otherwise. We’re going to make it more sustainable.”
Lufthansa said: “We have taken note of the UK ASA’s decision. Lufthansa regrets that the Google ad in question lacked further explanation of the basis for the phrase ‘fly more sustainably’.”
“For effective climate protection, the Lufthansa Group is committed to accelerating the modernization of its fleet, using sustainable aviation fuels and continuously optimizing its operations. We are making proposals to make freight transportation more sustainable.”
by City AM