ottawa –
International Development Minister Ahmed Hussen and Member of Parliament Omar Alghabra are the first Canadian delegation to visit the Turkish-Syrian border region since the fall of Bashar al-Assad’s regime in Syria.
During his visit, Mr. Hussen announced $17.25 million in funding for humanitarian assistance, including clean water and food, protection services, sanitation and health services.
The two also traveled to Qatar, where they met with the country’s Minister of State for International Cooperation and discussed their role in supporting the Syrian people.
In Saudi Arabia, he met with the Minister of State for Foreign Affairs and the Secretary-General of the Gulf Cooperation Council to discuss “shared goals for peace and security in the region.”
And in Turkey, Hussen and Alghabra met with the deputy foreign minister to discuss the changing situation in the Middle East.
Hussen said the Syrian civil war continues and millions of people are in need of emergency assistance, and Canada’s funding will provide critical support.
President Assad fled to Russia last month after rebels seized Damascus, ending five decades of rule by his family over the country.
More than 250,000 people have been killed in the Syrian conflict, which began in 2011, according to International Affairs Canada.
Hussen said Canada stands in solidarity with the Syrian people and the people of neighboring countries, and the government will continue its efforts to address the effects of the conflict.
Alghabra called this a “pivotal moment for Syria, the region and the world,” adding that after decades of conflict, Syrians have the opportunity to build an inclusive and prosperous society.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published Jan. 13, 2025.